Smoked Chicken Chipotle Soup With Tortilla Strips And Crema
If you like soups with a little bit of a kick, keeping reading! Don’t let soups fly under your radar -- they are so versatile. Use this recipe as an appetizer to ready your guests for the main course or let the chicken chipotle flavor stand as the main attraction. Our Skinny & Co coconut oil makes the crema a stand-out in this particular recipe! The zesty limes take your taste buds on a roller coaster ride when paired with our creamy coconut oil. Shop our coconut oil here and add this soup to the top of your must-try list!
For the soup
- 2 x 12 oz cans of pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 x 12 oz cans fire-roasted tomatoes with sauce
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons black bean miso
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 tablespoon avocado oil
- 8 ounces chicken, shredded
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into strips
- Salt, to taste
For the crema
- 2 cups sour cream
- 4 tablespoons Skinny & Co Coconut Oil, melted
- 2 limes, zested
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 2 tablespoons green onion
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro leaves
- 1 cup pickled red onions
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- 1 radish, sliced
- 2 lime wedges
- Add beans, tomatoes, chicken stock, black bean miso, chipotle peppers, onions, and garlic to your blender, and blend on high speed until you achieve a smooth puree.
- Transfer the smooth puree into a saucepan, and heat over low to medium heat. Add some of the salt, and bring the puree to a boil. After a boil has been reached, turn the heat down to a simmer, stirring occasionally (about 10-15 minutes).
- To make the crema, combine all ingredients except the coconut oil in a medium mixing bowl, whisking until fully incorporated. Then, in a steady stream whisk in the melted coconut oil.
- To make the corn tortilla strips, heat the avocado oil in a skillet or frying pan over medium to high heat. Add the tortilla strips, and cook them until they become crispy (about 3-5 minutes). Place the crispy tortilla strips onto a paper towel, and season them with salt while they are still hot.
- To finish, divide the chicken into serving bowls before pouring the soup over top and garnishing the bowls heavily with crema, tortilla strips, pickled onions, jalapeño, radish, chopped cilantro, and lime wedges.
We hope you enjoy the spiciness of this soup paired with the cold crema and crunchy homemade tortilla strips. It’s a melody of flavors you’ll be sure to fall in love with!